1998 - 2002 production Z3/M coupé
Z3 coupé 2800 193 hp (1998-2000)
Z3 coupé 3.0i 231 hp (2000-2002)
M coupé 3200 "european"(S50) 3201 cc - 321 hp (1998-2001)
M coupé 3200 (S54) 3246 cc - 325 hp (2001-2002)
M coupé 3200 "usa" (S52) 3246 cc - 240 hp - 1999 debut in the US
BMW built a dynamic performance coupe of unusual character for drivers similarly inclined. Impressive body strength. Brawny performance. The Z3 coupe stands head and beefy shoulders above the crowd. Classic analog gauges in a retro-modern cockpit hearken back to its glamorous GT heritage. Manufactured in Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA, the Coupe is a Z3 with a high-performance suspension, larger wheels, bigger exhaust, and the inline six-cylinder engine from the BMW M3 . Equipped with the technology of the M3, the Z M Series has agility, safety, compactness and awesome power in the stylish Z package.
The coupe was first unveiled at the 1997 Frankfurt motor show, though production did not begin until the following year.
The coupe was developed under the leadership of engineer Burkhard Göschel with the intention of adding increased torsional and structural rigidity to the Z3 roadster’s chassis. The development team had a hard time convincing the Board of Directors to approve the model for production, but it was eventually given the green light as long as it remained cost-effective to produce. To achieve this goal, as many body panels as possible had to be shared with the roadster, thus the doors and everything from the A-pillar forward are interchangeable between the coupe and roadster, as are most interior parts. The Z3 coupe, which mates the M coupe's body with the standard Z3 drivetrain, chassis and cosmetics was approved for production at the same time. This car had previously won praise for its combination of unique style and lightening quick responsiveness.
Chrome on the headlights and on the kidney grilles
"Coupe" inscribed on the door sills deleted
Auto-dimming rear view mirror
S52 and the S50 engine are both replaced by a single "world" S54 325 hp engine, including a new oil cooler
Differential ratio changed to 3.15 from 3.23
DSC replaced ASC
New tire pressure monitor
Satin Chrome finished wheels
Curved M badging on the rear, sides, and on the engine
Interior changes: gray face gauges, chrome-trimmed rear view mirror, rear defroster relocated, exterior temperature replaces voltmeter, updated clock
CD player standard
Standard and Optional Equipment
• Air conditioning.
• Airbags for driver and passenger, seat occupancy detector for passenger airbag.
• Alarm system with remote control (optional).
• Analogue-face clock in centre console.
• Anti-lock brake system (ABS).
• Central locking with electronic immobiliser, crash sensor.
• Direction indicators, white.
• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) incl. ADB and DBC.
• Exterior mirrors and screenwasher nozzles heated (optional).
• Exterior mirrors in body colour, electrically adjustable.
• Foglamps (standard on the Z3 coupé 3.0i).
• Glass sliding/lift roof, electrical (optional).
• Headlight cleaning system (optional).
• Heat-insulating glass, windscreen and side windows.
• HiFi loudspeaker system (optional).
• Light-alloy wheels.
• Limited-slip differential with 25 percent locking action.
• Luggage compartment cover.
• Luggage compartment partition net (optional).
• M leather steering wheel incl. handbrake lever handle in leather.
• Nappa leather.
• On-board computer (optional).
• Prepared for installation of telephone, GSM (optional).
• Rear window wiper.
• Remote control of central locking (optional, standard on the M roadster).
• Rev counter.
• Seat belts, inertia-reel, with pyrotechnical belt latch tensioners.
• Seat heating for driver and passenger (optional, standard on the 3.0i and M roadster).
• Side airbags for driver and passenger.
• Sports seats in nappa leather with electrical adjustment for length and height, plus mechanical backrest adjustment.
• Top HiFi system harman/kardon, with eight loudspeakers (optional).
• Tyre Pressure Indicator (TPI) (M coupé only).
• Window lifts, electric, incl. comfort function (via door lock).
• Windscreen with green stripe (optional).
No, the windows don't go all the way down.
No, seats are not available for the rear.
No, the sunroof cannot slide back. It only tilts.
Yes, the car is fast.
All Z3's are based on the E36 chassis and share a number of components with all other E36s (door handles, for example).
All Z3/M coupes are E36/8.